Minimizing the stress of moving!
Take the time to learn what you can do to minimize the stress on you and your family. From change of address, to checklists, to packing materials, to keeping the kids fed and occupied.
Here is some advice from some individuals with experience.
1. Send your change of address to:
- Family and friends
- Post office
2. Take pictures of valuable items before the move just in case you need to provide proof for damage later.
3. Avoid waste by using up items that may spoil: like frozen foods, milk, yogurt, or open canned items, which can be a hassle to move.
4. Set up a place for all packing material so that it’s easy to find. Here are some things for your packing area:
- Folded boxes
- Binding rope
- Bubble wrap
5. Label boxes clearly so you will be able to readily identify them after the move. Labels should include the room the box goes to and the name whose items occupy the box.
6. Create accounts or transfer funds from your bank account to the area in which you will be living.
7. Gather copies of medical records, X-rays, prescriptions, etc.
8. Inform your children’s schools about the move and ask them to transfer school records and transcripts.
9. Get your children’s rooms set up first to make them most comfortable.
10. Be sure to have plenty of water and healthy snacks on hand for the children during the unpacking.